Ideas for RMUL 2023 Competition Visibility and Accessibility for Non-Participants

Hello!

In the Discord, we’ve seen a lot of good ideas already out there for this years 2023 RoboMasters NA Competition!

I would like to compile these ideas in this forum; if you have an idea, please comment it on this thread, and as ideas are approved and assigned, I’ll edit them into this main post.

Thanks everyone!
– Shaur

Ideas below. Unassigned are first. Updated 11/2/2022

The Blue Alliance for RMNA

Unassigned

A consistently updated, accurate, and accessible means of accessing information about the event, schedule, scores, etc. i.e. The Blue Alliance, The Orange Alliance, a Google Sheet, etc. Should be accessible both to participants and viewers on Twitch. Shaur note: Could use something like Start.gg

Display Robots with Trifold descriptions for Technically Inclined

Unassigned

Having a display robot (or two) at a table so people can see what the robots look like up-close. Having like a trifold poster explaining the different subsystems for the more technically inclined.

Banners on the matching side of the team playing

Unassigned

Having teams bring their banners to the field and hang them up on their sides.

Kickoff Video Introducing the Season

Unassigned

Could be a hype style video including multiple team collaborations. Details need to be clarified.

Rules Podcast

Unassigned

A rules podcast where people go over the rule changes and speculate about the meta. Should include multiple universities as an RMNA collaboration. Vod will be put on YouTube.

RMUL Rules Release Video

Assigned to Shaur

A FIRST style video for the upcoming 2023 Competition including rules changes. Game animation.

Improved Stream Experience Ideas

Assigned to RMNA Seattle Crew

The below is all for an improved stream experience:

• Start stream on setup/practice day
    • The casters can talk about each team and their robots, do a match schedule reveal, make predictions, etc…Could be a shorter stream
  • Have pre-planned segments (not commercials/ads) between matches and during breaks (lunch, delays, etc…)
    • Team Videos - Short pre-recorded team introduction/marketing pitch type video; can be played at any time ~1hr of content
    • Post Match Interviews - Talk to drivers/team captain about match results/details
    • “Pit Pass” - Live behind the scenes style (would require more media resources); have a caster in the pits analyze a team’s robot(s); could highlight cool features/technical components and dive deep into the engineering; could be done at any time
  • Simultaneous Bilibili stream.
    • Chinese shoutcaster. Stream on official RM Bilibili channel?

Screens and Visuals for matches and match schedule

Having additional TVs, projectors, etc. around the venue playing the livestream. Having the screens rotate through the match schedule, standings occasionally. Having on-site display not just be the livestream.

More field pre-match shots

Close up tracking shots during matches similar to what is done in FRC. Would require more manpower; probably 2-4 people on just cameras. I know this idea is somewhat unpopular in FRC due to how it interferes with scouting, but for our purposes I don’t see huge issues.

Discussed in the Discord, but ways to improve the audience’s knowledge of the game, who’s playing against who, the standings, schedule, etc.

Current ideas are:

• Having a display robot (or two) at a table so people can see what the robots look like up-close
    • Having like a trifold poster explaining the different subsystems for the more technically inclined
  • Having teams bring their banners to the field and hang them up on their sides
  • Having additional TVs, projectors, etc. around the venue playing the livestream (Assigned to RMNA Seattle Crew)
    • Having the screens rotate through the match schedule, standings occasionally (Assigned to RMNA Seattle Crew)
  • Having on-site display not just be the livestream (Assigned to RMNA Seattle Crew)
  • Having a kickoff video introducing the season
  • Having a rules podcast where people go over the rule changes and speculate about the meta
  • Having a game animation
1 Like
  • Having a vertical tv / projector showing what time, which schools, and the color of the schools (red and blue) in which competition format to help display match schedule.
2 Likes
  • A consistently updated, accurate, and accessible means of accessing information about the event, schedule, scores, etc.
    • i.e. The Blue Alliance, The Orange Alliance, a Google Sheet, etc.
    • Should be accessible both to participants and viewers on Twitch
  • Close up tracking shots during matches similar to what is done in FRC
    • Would require more manpower; probably 2-4 people on just cameras
    • I know this idea is somewhat unpopular in FRC due to how it interferes with scouting, but for our purposes I don’t see huge issues
1 Like

Improving the Stream Experience

Start stream on setup/practice day

• The casters can talk about each team and their robots, do a match schedule reveal, make predictions, etc…
  • Could be a shorter stream

Have pre-planned segments (not commercials/ads) between matches and during breaks (lunch, delays, etc…)

• Team Videos - Short pre-recorded team introduction/marketing pitch type video; can be played at any time; if each team did a 3min video x20 teams = 1hr of “filler”
  • Post Match Interviews - Talk to drivers/team captain about match results/details
  • “Pit Pass” - Live behind the scenes style (would require more media resources); have a caster in the pits analyze a team’s robot(s); could highlight cool features/technical components and dive deep into the engineering; could be done at any time

On the same topic as scheduling, reducing delays should be a high priority this year. I understand that much of this isn’t up to the RMNA Seattle crew, but lengthy delays often result in audience members - especially those that are non-participants - becoming extremely lost and confused.

Improve reach to Chinese audience:

• Simultaneous Bilibili stream

• Chinese shoutcaster

• Stream on official RM Bilibili channel?